In the ranking list of the Top Safety Pick and Top Safety Pick + models for 2019 by the US Institute of Road Safety (IIHS), there is only one US model, the other two names are surprising. The National Institute of Transportation Safety (IIHS) published a list of 2019 safety models, with 57 names arranged in two groups: 30 cars from Top Safety Pick + and 27 cars for Top Safety Pick.
The Pick + group has the highest scores from the perspective of protecting passengers in a previous collision and has a high score for headlights. The Pick group, meanwhile, is the car that scored the standard or higher on IIHS’s latest crash test, and the headlights score is also high.
It can be seen that the number of 2019 models reaching this rating has doubled (30 models) compared to 2018 models (only 15 models), with the majority of Japanese and Korean cars.
This impressive increase is even more noticeable as IIHS has increased the difficulty for its vehicle tests. In addition, there are 17 other models fail the highest rating because they do not score “well” in the headlight test.
Cars make up 70% of the cars that reach Top Safety Pick +, small and mid-sized SUVs make up the remaining 30%. It’s no surprise that pickups completely “disappear” from IIHS’s list of safe models. Only Honda Ridgeline has appeared in the list of 2018 model cars.
Another noteworthy point is the absence of American vehicles on the list. Only Chrysler Pacifica got into the top Pick like last year. Most cars selected are Japanese and Korean. If you include both Pick and Pick +, Hyundai contributes the most cars. Some German automakers have Mercedes, BMW and Audi. Surprisingly, Volvo is absent. This is a special case because according to IIHS, Volvo misses the results of safety testing for passengers.
In terms of branding, Subaru leads the way with seven models reaching Top Safety Pick +, including Ascent, Crosstrek, Impreza sedan and wagon, Legacy, Outback and WRX.
Electric vehicles are also absent from the IIHS list, only the KIA Niro Plug-In Hybrid is the Hybrid model on the list. Tesla does not have any models because: The company does not provide IIHS with any data or models for testing.